Friday, August 16, 2013

Is that a deal breaker?



    Let me start this by saying patience is not my superpower. I'm the woman who will put something in the microwave for 1 minute and opens the door with 2 seconds left on the timer because I just can't wait that one instant longer. I tell you this so that you will understand my mindset with this post. In essence, I can be an impatient control freak. There I said it. So imagine my frustration when discussing my future with friends or family and I hear "Well, you'll get there one day." That does not make me a happy camper because that is just telling me that I don't have control over what is happening and that I have to wait. But the real reason I hate being told that "It'll happen one day" is that there is no guarantee that it will. What if what I want doesn't happen? What then?
     I think one of the biggest sins that we face today is the sin of idolatry. Now you may read that and think "Wait, I'm not bowing down to a golden statue in my living room. What in the sam hill are you talking about?" Idols are anything that takes us away from God. Idols can be things like our jobs and our relationships or they can be our desires. My preacher gave a sermon on this subject a while back. He asked the congregation to think of the thing we loved the most or the thing we wanted the most- whatever takes up the majority of our thoughts. For some it may have been their school work and others it may have been someone in their life. Still others may have thought about the things they were working towards like finding the right job or finding a spouse. After everyone had taken a moment to get a clear picture of what they spent the most time in a day thinking about or working towards the preacher said this "Imagine you woke up in the morning and got a call that whatever it is you love or want was taken away for ever or that you would never achieve it. Would that affect how you feel about God? If losing something you love or not getting what you want pulls you away from God, that is your idol."
     Now stop and think about that. That can be a tough pill to swallow. There is no guarantee that the people we love will be there tomorrow. We may never become CEO of the company. We may never be able to have that child we've always dreamed of. Maybe we won't have the relationship we always thought we'd have. 

Is God's love enough?

     I'm not saying that having desires or goals is a bad thing. In fact, I think they are necessary. But they should not take God's place in our hearts. They should not come first. In the end, whether or not we build that dream house or we make it through medical school should not alter our love for Christ. We have a calling. And that is to show and share the Gospel to others. We were put on this earth to show and tell others that as humans we are vilely sinful and therefore unworthy to be in God's presence but God loved us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die the death that we deserve and live the perfect life we are incapable of so that as believers we may spend eternity with God. No matter what happens to us here on earth, we should be joyful that we have been redeemed and adopted as sons and daughters of the King. God will give us what we need to fullfill our mission. That's where trust comes in. Live each day knowing you are loved beyond all imagining and be joyful. 



I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
- Galatians 2:20

 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
- Romans 12: 9-16

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him.
- Psalm 28:7

Need You Now- Plumb


Love and blessings,
Ada Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment